- Homeless definition - Who qualifies as homeless under McKinney-Vento, and what are some best practices in verifying eligibility?
- Homeless Liaison Directory - Your local liaison is your first contact for questions regarding students experiencing homelessness. This link provides a listing of the name and contact information for each school division's liaison.
- Subgrantee information and forms - Find subgrantee descriptions along with forms for reimbursement and amendments.
- Professional development - Information on monitoring visits and the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth annual conference.
Helpful information for school staff:
- Potential warning signs of homelessness (pdf) - what to look for in order to identify students who may be experiencing homelessness
- Confirming eligibility for McKinney-Vento services (pdf) - how to sensitively and discretely get information from families on their situation, and what to do if questions arise while verifying eligibility for McKinney-Vento services
- Trauma informed homeless services - A series of briefs from the Family and Children’s Trust Fund (FACT) of Virginia exploring trauma and trauma-informed care. Each addition in this series will discuss the ways in which trauma may be experienced at different points in the lifespan, how trauma may impact the individual, what some possible social, emotional or physical impacts may be, and some promising interventions and resources.
- "Do Whatever You Can to Try to Support That Kid": School Counselors' Experiences Addressing Student Homelessness (pdf)