The need for better educated, better prepared teachers has never been greater. Moreover, there is a steadily rising demand for well-prepared, effective teachers as the nation's schools work to raise the quality of instruction, reduce class sizes, and expand academic programs. Both the American public and governing bodies at all levels recognize as never before the critical need to improve the preparation of teachers. For those who hope to link their formal training and expertise to critical real-world needs, it is a good time to consider teaching as a profession.
The School of Education is in an excellent position to prepare tomorrow's educational leaders, for the School of Education attracts highly qualified students to its teacher education program and then provides them with exemplary professional educational experiences.
The School of Education provides teacher education certification programs for those who wish to:
- teach in elementary schools (grades PK-6)
- teach in secondary schools (grades 6-12)
- teach culturally and linguistically diverse students in general, ESL and dual language classrooms (grades PK-12, dual endorsement)
- teach students with disabilities - Special Education (grades K-12, graduate students only )
Teacher Education at William & Mary
Consistent with W&M's focus on liberal arts education, programs in the School of Education include balanced attention to studies in general education, professional education, and the content discipline of one or more teaching specialties. These studies combine specific investigation of educational ideas and practices with supervised laboratory, clinical, and practicum experiences, and they are designed to develop in students specific knowledge, skills, and attitudes that are considered to be essential to effective teaching.
Measures of Excellence
- Among graduates of all Virginia colleges and universities, graduates of William & Mary's teacher education programs consistently maintain the highest scores on all sections of the PRAXIS series.
- The SAT scores of students enrolled in William & Mary's undergraduate teacher education programs typically meet or exceed the mean SAT of all William & Mary undergraduate students.
- Those who complete teacher education programs at William & Mary — at both undergraduate and graduate levels — are highly sought by employing school districts throughout the country.