McKinney-Vento & Foster Care State Mini-Conference
December 1, 2020
- Educational Stability for Children & Youth in Foster Care (introductory training) • 10:00 am - 12:00 pm • Register
- Target audience: child welfare staff, educators, and others who support students in foster care
- Looking Back, Moving Forward & Centering Equity in the COVID Era • 9:00 am - 12:00 pm • Register
- Target audience: child welfare staff, educators, and others who support students in foster care and those experiencing homelessness (tentative agenda)
- Strategies for Supporting Attendance and Student Engagement During COVID-19 • 9:00 am - 11:00 am • Register
- Target audience: educators, attendance officers, and others who support students experiencing homelessness and students with attendance concerns
Save-the-Date for next year! Joint Homeless Education & Foster Care conference • December 6-8, 2021 • Staunton, VA
Regional Training (all virtual)
- Annual Regional Trainings - McKinney-Vento - these trainings are free and open to all school staff and community partners. Liaisons - feel free to invite your supervisors, school counselors, school social workers, and anyone who works with McKinney-Vento (administrative assistants, case managers, or your back ups), as well as local shelter/ housing or other community partners.
- We have concluded our offerings for Fall 2020. Please check back for additional dates to be scheduled.
- Annual Regional Trainings - Foster Care - these trainings are free and open to all school staff, LDSS, LCPAs, and anyone interested in supporting students in foster care. Liaisons - feel free to invite your supervisors, school counselors, school social workers, and anyone who works with foster care (administrative assistants, case managers, or your back ups), as well as local or community partners.
- December 1, 2020 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm • Register
Webinars and Online Training
- Project HOPE-VA's McKinney-Vento 101
- The National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE) offers self-paced online training and live interactive group training for local homeless education liaisons.
- Project HOPE-VA "Charlie Check In" for homeless liaisons - contact us for the registration link
- December 10, 2020 at 10:00 am with special guest Samantha Hollins, VDOE Assistant Superintendent to solicit input on new standards of accreditation & Quyen Doung, VDOE Student Services Specialist to discuss attendance
- Jaiaya John "Being Human Again" - healing podcast
Conferences and Additional Opportunities
- NAEHCY's 2021 Conference • November 13-16, 2021 • Atlanta, GA
- Education Leads Home 2022: A National Convening on Student Homelessness • March 6-8, 2022 • Austin, TX