Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Have the Right to a Free, Appropriate Public Education
Early Childhood Education
- The Improving Head Start for School Readiness Act of 2007 was signed into law December 12, 2007.
- The Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 2014 was signed into law November 19, 2014.
- Virginia Acts of Assembly - CHAPTER 154 (pdf): An Act to amend and reenact 16.1-281 and 22.1-3.4 of the Code of Virginia and to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 63.2-900.3 relating to school placement of foster care children. Approved March 15, 2011.
- Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act HR 6893 (P.L. 110-351) September 22, 2008. This act will help hundreds of thousands of children and youth in foster care by promoting permanent families for them through relative guardianship and adoption and improving education and health care.
- The Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act 2004 (P.L. 108-265) (pdf) provides categorical eligibility to students who meet the federal definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant.
- Guidance on implementing Child Nutrition Act Superintendent's Memo #8, September 24, 2004, Implementation of the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004
- Regularly updated resources and guidance related to the National School Lunch Program from the Food Research and Action Center.
- Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA): regulation and guidance resources at the US Department of Education (ED).
- Privacy and Homelessness: A Technical Assistance Tool from the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth