Second Major FAQs

How do I declare Education as my major?

Education must be your second major or curriculum.  You must choose a primary major in a liberal arts discipline (English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Psychology, Anthropology, etc.)  If you are a Secondary Education student, you will major in the subject you wish to teach.  Secondary Education endorsement areas include English, Social Studies, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics), Math and Foreign Languages (French, German, Spanish, and Latin).  To declare education as your second major or curriculum, you must apply to the School of Education.

When can I apply?

You should apply to the School of Education for admission at the beginning of your junior year.  The application is due by the first day of classes of the fall semester.  The Undergraduate Application is available online. Select Undergraduate and School of Education.  Then select Undergraduate Major Program.

How long will it take me to complete the undergraduate program?

The education programs consist of 3 semesters of class work, the last of which is a semester of student teaching.  Students do have the option of spreading out the program over 4 semesters by beginning in a fall semester.

What is the minimum GPA requirement to be admitted to the School of Education Undergraduate program?

Admitted students will have a GPA of at least 2.0 and 54 earned hours.

Can I change from the undergraduate program to the 5 year program?

You cannot switch, but you can apply to the 5th year program is you have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, and have only completed  EDUC 301 and EDUC 310 in the undergraduate program.  If you have progressed further in the undergraduate education program, you cannot apply to the 5 year program.  

Do I have to follow the course schedule as outlined in my program of studies?

In most cases, yes.  Education classes are typically co-requisites, and thus cannot be taken out of sequence.  If you have a special situation, you should discuss it with your advisor in the School of Education.

Will other states accept my Virginia teaching license?

Yes, although some states may require additional tests or courses for licensure. 

Do I get paid for student teaching?

No – you receive 7 credits for the student teaching experience.

Can I decide where I student teach?