Skip to main content

Graduate Admission FAQs

If the answers below don't answer your questions, please email [[graded, us]], or visit us for Zoom Admission Office Hours.

General Application/Admission Questions for on campus programs

Do all materials have to be received in your office by the application deadline for on campus programs?
No - the important thing is the application. Once you submit it, we can work with you to complete it. Applications received after the deadline will still be reviewed, but on a space available basis. Programs that still have space will consider late applications.

Do I have to have all of my materials before submitting my application?
No. You should submit the application, and then submit your requests for transcripts and test scores. We will email you and remind you of the materials you are missing. When your application is complete, we will notify you as well.

Is the deadline flexible for on campus programs?
Somewhat. If your application is complete after the deadline, it will still be reviewed for admission, but spaces may already be filled if your application is extremely late.

When will I be notified of an admission decision?
For our on campus programs, admission notification for Spring applicants occurs by mid-November, while Summer & Fall applicants are notified by mid-March. Please remember, no information will be given out by phone. Your admission decision letter will display inside the application portal once it is ready. You will receive an email to tell you to check your portal.

I've been admitted, what do I do now?
You should visit the Welcome page for information and instructions.

Can I defer my admission?
Yes, you can defer your admission up to one year from the semester of original admission. You will need to complete the deferral form and submit your enrollment deposit in order to hold your spot.

Can I visit the campus?
Absolutely. Email us at or Call 757-221-2317 to make an appointment. Our graduate students can provide a tour of our facility.

Can I meet with a program faculty member?
Yes, please call us at 757-221-2317 or email and we can assist you with setting up a visit. While you are here, we would also love to meet with you about the admissions process and provide a tour of our wonderful School of Education facility.

Questions About Essays & Papers

How long does my essay need to be?
There is no set format for an essay. It can be as long or as short as you feel necessary, although 2-3 written pages seems to be the average among applicants.

What are the requirements for the Educational, Policy Planning and Leadership doctoral paper for admission?
The technical requirements can be found here [pdf].

Questions About Transcripts

I did not upload an unofficial transcript before submitting my application, but I have one now.  How can I add it to my application?
We will use unofficial transcripts for initial review.  If you did not upload before you submitted, you can email it to

To what address should I send my transcripts?
If you need to mail transcripts and you plan to send them via the US Postal service, you should send to our PO Box address (You MUST include "School of Education" in the address or we will not receive your materials).:
William & Mary School of Education - Office of Academic Programs
PO Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187

What address should I use if I need to overnight materials directly to the School?
If you plan to send your materials by FEDEX, UPS, etc, you will need a physical address. These companies do not send to PO Boxes. The physical address for our office is:

William & Mary School of Education - Office of Academic Programs
301 Monticello Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23185

Do you accept e-transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution?
Yes. Please have them send the transcript to If this option is available at your institution, we suggest that you take advantage of it.

Do I need to obtain copies of all my transcripts, even if I only took one course at an institution?
Yes. Many colleges do not include grades from transfer courses on their transcripts or in their GPA calculations and grant transfer credits only if a certain grade is achieved. Also, courses taken after graduation, regardless of field, are also taken into account when your application is reviewed. Therefore, we need official transcripts from every institution you have attended, even if those courses are reflected on another university's transcript.

Questions About Recommendations

What do I do if my recommender says s/he didn't receive the email with link for uploading the recommendation?
You should ask your recommender to check his/her junk mail folder. The email is automatically sent to your recommenders by the online system when you save your application. If you recommender cannot find the email in the junk mail folder, you can re-send to him/her via your application dashboard after you submit your application.

Can I upload a letter of recommendation to my application?
Applicants may not upload letters of recommendation to their own applications. If your recommender has issues uploading his/her letter, please have them contact for assistance.

Who should I ask to be my recommenders?
The application requires letters from three persons qualified to evaluate the applicant's professional,  ethical, and academic qualifications for graduate study. It is suggested that the applicant present a combination of professional and academic references. The written references will be used exclusively for purposes of admission to the School of Education. The faculty are not looking for standardized responses, but instead for the recommender to be as candid as possible in his or her assessment of your qualifications for graduate study. At least one academic reference from a faculty member is desirable.

Questions About Admission Tests

Is the GRE required for admission?
No. None of our graduate programs require admission testing.

My test scores will not arrive by the deadline date. Will my application still be considered?
Yes. Since test scores are not required for admission, your application is complete without test scores.

What are the school and department codes for the GRE?
When requesting that test scores be sent from GRE, our institution code is 5115. Be sure to also indicate a major/department code on your request. Anything in the area of "Education" will find its way to us. When requesting that test scores be sent from MAT, our institution code is 1765, Department Code 200. Only the PhD in Counselor Education requires the GRE.

Do you accept the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo for International Students?
Yes, we accept IELTS (the minimum IELTS score is 7.0) as well as TOEFL scores (at least 100 on the Internet version or comparable score on other versions of the exam), as well as Duolingo scores (95 or higher) for International Students.

Do I have to submit IELTS/TOEFL/Duolingo scores if I have earned a degree from a U.S. institution?

Questions about Assistantships

How do I get an assistantship?
Persons wishing to be considered for graduate assistantships should check the box indicating an interest in an assistantship on the online application. Offices on campus and off review resumes of interested admitted students and select candidates based on skill set and experience.

When will I be notified of an offer of a Graduate Assistantship?
Sometimes we are able to notify students in the admission letter of an award of a graduate assistantship position. Often, however, these decisions are not made until a few weeks after the admission letter is sent and can be as late as the beginning of the next semester. Since the School of Education does not control the hiring or the funding for some of these positions, it is sometimes difficult to coordinate the timing of notification.

How much does an assistantship pay?
Learn more about assistantship packages.

Questions About Our Online Counseling Programs?

You can find online counseling admissions FAQ here