Not all of our programs require the same admission test. Some programs require the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Other programs allow the applicant to select either the GRE or the Miller's Analogy Test (MAT). The initial teacher licensure programs require the Praxis Core.
Our programs, and the tests required are listed below:
- Educational Policy, Planning & Leadership programs - all programs accept the GRE or the MAT
- Literacy Leadership and Gifted Education - accept the GRE or the MAT
- Counseling and School Psychology programs - only accept the GRE
- Elementary, Secondary, Special Education, and ESL/Bilingual Education programs - require the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators exam, or an appropriate ACT/SAT substitution. The GRE is no longer required for these programs. The test number for the Praxis Core (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) is 5751.
- Math Specialist MAEd program - only accepts the GRE
- Certificate programs - no test scores are required
GRE and MAT Test scores should be no more than five years old.
The institution codes for W&M:
- GRE is 5115
- MAT is 1765.
Be sure to also indicate a major/department code on your request. Anything in the area of "Education" will find its way to us.
If you are unsure which test is required for your program, please contact us at 757-221-2317 or [[graded, email us]].
Sponsored by the Mason School of Business, this online GRE Preparation Course combines the structure and professional instruction of a traditional classroom course with the convenience and flexibility of a self-guided-at-home study program. A detailed syllabus guides you through the math, verbal, and essay portions of the GRE, as well as provides you with practice problems, full-length practice tests, and textbook review.
In addition to the required admission exam, students who are not native English speakers are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to the William & Mary School of Education (Institution Code 5115). If you have graduated from a college or university in the United States, you are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Scores should not be more than 2 years old. Although a minimum score for admission has not been issued, international students who are typically admitted score at least 100 on the internet version of the TOEFL (or comparable score on other versions of the exam) or a 7.0 on the IELTS.