Counselor Education Program Mission Statement
The Counselor Education Program at William & Mary prepares professional counselors and counselor educators who represent diverse identities; serve local, national, and global communities; advocate for social justice and antiracist policies; and demonstrate exemplary practices.
Goals of the Counseling Program at William & Mary
- To facilitate the development of counselors who are clinically skilled, ethical, and committed to the delivery of effective services to clients.
- To prepare students at the Masters-level for professional counseling positions.
- To prepare students at the Doctoral level for university faculty positions in counselor education through an individualized course sequence with advanced clinical and administration leadership experiences.
- To provide opportunities for Doctoral-level researcher skill development, publishing presentations, and funding.
- To advance to the scope of knowledge and practice within the counseling profession through research and scholarly activity.
- To provide mentorship and community building experiences within and outside of the classroom.
- To prepare professional counselors and counselor educators who exemplify a cultural orientation that includes culturally humility and culturally responsiveness.
- To prepare professional counselors who are social justice advocates and promote antiracist policies and practices.
- To train students in ethical and effective use of technology within the counseling profession.
- To respond to societal and professional shifts in training and counseling needs.
- To promote professional self-care and a wellness orientation.
- To prepare counselors who are self-reflective and who are committed to continued personal and professional growth.
- To provide leadership to the counseling profession through faculty and student involvement.
- To develop future leaders in the counseling profession.
- To provide service to the local, national, and global community.
- To promote the mission of William & Mary.