Update on Fall SOE Opening and Instructional Delivery
Aug. 13, 2020
Dear School of Education Students,
The health, safety, physical and emotional wellbeing of the SOE community is our primary concern as we make decisions about the return to campus this fall. This is how we exhibit an ethic of care.
The university has implemented protocols for COVID testing for all students; a negative test result is required for students to return to campus. To date, approximately 54% of our students have registered for the testing. Of the total number of students who have registered for testing 11% have been cleared to return to campus. The leadership team and I have decided to begin the semester remotely so that we may provide more time for all students to register for a COVID test and to receive the test results.
Classes will begin on August 19, 2020 as previously scheduled; classes will be delivered remotely for the first two weeks of the semester. The first day of in-person classes will be September 2, 2020. At that point, only students with a negative test result reported to the university will be permitted on campus. All group activities, including classes, are remote until September 2, 2020.
There are five actions you must take to prepare for your return to campus and the SOE:
- ASAP: Create COVID testing account in Kallaco and confirm address to have your test mailed.
- By Aug. 19: Complete your PIQ and the affirmation for a healthy community.
- Daily: Download the W&M App and begin using “Healthy Together” Daily Health Check.
- By 8/14: Complete COVID Training Modules in BlackBoard.
- At all times on campus: Wear a mask. Masks are required in all public spaces, indoors and outdoors.
I know that you join me in your enthusiasm for a successful fall term. We are eager to welcome you back to campus. Going remote for two weeks gives us the necessary time to better ensure the safety of our community.
Dean and Professor