Following the shooting at Heritage High School this week, our faculty are offering space for William & Mary students to connect for support and have collected resources to help educators and families in responding to incidents of community violence.
Open Forum for W&M Students
The events at Heritage High School have been unsettling for everyone in our community. We are offering two opportunities for current students to gather with faculty, staff and fellow students to connect, share and process their own feelings this week:
- In-person: Wednesday, Sept. 22 at 11:30 a.m. in the Matoaka Woods room of the Professional Development Center
- Virtual: Thursday, Sept. 23 at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Register here.
Resources for Educators
- Helping students after a school shooting. American School Counselor Association
- Restoring a sense of safety in the aftermath of a mass shooting: Tips for parents and professionals. Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
- Helping children after traumatic events [YouTube]. Child Mind Institute.
- Coping in the aftermath of a shooting. American Counseling Association.
- The impact of disaster and mass violence events in mental health. National Center for PTSD.
- Coping tips for traumatic events and disasters. SAMHSA, Health & Human Services
- Coping with grief after community violence. SAMHSA, Health & Human Services
- National Association of School Psychologists. NASP offers resources related to school safety and crisis:
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network. The NCTSN has multiple resources to support children, youth, families and community response efforts:
- Psychological Impact of the Recent Shooting
- Talking to Children about the Shooting
- Helping Teens with Traumatic Grief: Tips for Caregivers
- Helping Young Children with Traumatic Grief: Tips for Caregivers
- Helping School-Age Children with Traumatic Grief: Tips for Caregivers
- Helping Youth after Community Trauma: Tips for Educators
- Parent Guidelines for Helping Youth after the Recent Shooting
- En Español [Guía para los Padres Para Ayudar a Los Jóvenes Después de un Tiroteo Reciente]
- After a Crisis: Helping Young Children Heal
- Parents Tips for Helping Preschool-Aged Children after Disasters
- Parents Tips for Helping School-Aged Children after Disasters
- Restoring a Sense of Safety in the Aftermath of a Shooting: Tips for Parents and Professionals