Skip to main content

International Admissions

مرحبا. 歡迎(光臨). Bienvenu. Willkomm. Benvenuto.ようこそ. добро пожаловать! Bienvenido.

The William & Mary School of Education receives applications each year from all over the world, and we understand the difficulties students have communicating with higher education institutions that are in a different country. Because we value international students, we hope to make the admission procedure as smooth as possible for everyone. 

Please do not hesitate to ask questions, and feel free to write, call, or [[graded,email us]] if you have any questions about the admissions process. 

In addition to completing an application, please arrange to have the required English proficiency examination test results sent to the Office of Academic Programs in the School of Education by the appropriate testing agency and arrange to have the required educational documents sent directly to the School of Education by the higher education institutions you have attended.

Students who are not native English speakers are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores to the William & Mary School of Education (Institution Code 5115). Scores should not be more than 2 years old. Although a minimum score for admission has not been issued, international students who are typically admitted score at least 100 on the Internet version of the TOEFL (or comparable score on other versions of the exam) or a 7.0 on the IELTS,  or a score of 95 on the Duolingo English Test. If you have graduated from a U.S. college or university, you are not required to submit English proficiency test scores. 

If you are an international student and have been awarded the baccalaureate degree (or its equivalent) from any institution other than a U.S. regionally accredited institution, you must submit official copies of all transcripts from every college or university attended and certified literal translations where needed. These transcripts must show courses, grades received, annual mark sheets, examination sheets, and leaving certificates as they apply in the student’s home country. Official copies must bear the seal of the issuing institution and the actual signature of your college or university registrar.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you will need a student visa to study in the United States. Visas are issued by U.S. embassies and consulates, but you must have proper documentation in order to apply for one. This documentation consists of an I-20. 

Once your enrollment deposit is processed- you will receive an email from  to request additional e-forms (via a secured system) in order to solicit citizenship and visa information.  After you complete the students e-forms on iStart then the School of Education Admissions department will verify some student information and finally the Reves Center will review the e-forms and issue the I-20 or DS-2019 to you.

You must have an undergraduate (bachelor's) degree to apply to a master's degree program, and you must have a master's or educational specialist degree to apply to a doctoral program.

If you have any questions about the iStart process or the e-forms please contact the Reves Center for International Studies at 757-221-3437. More information regarding Visas and Immigration can be found on the Reves Center website.