Carmelita K. Williams VSRA Scholarship
This scholarship is in honor of Carmelita K. Williams, Past VSRA President (1985-86) and Past IRA President (2000-2001). The recipient of this scholarship will receive reimbursement of up to $1,000 toward college or university tuition in pursuit of an advanced degree in the field of reading.
The candidate must be a member of a local council, Virginia State Reading Association, and IRA for at least one year prior to application, be currently accepted in graduate level courses at an accredited university or college in Virginia, pursuing an advanced degree in the field of reading, and currently employed in a position where reading is part of the instructional focus. Candidates should exemplify characteristics of knowledge, exemplary teaching ability, a spirit of collegiality and collaboration, professionalism and leadership.
1) Completed application that includes verification by local council president.
2) Applicant’s vitae.
3) A letter of intent stating the reason for pursuing a reading endorsement and how this endorsement will develop skills as a leader in the profession (not to exceed 250 words).
4) College transcripts (undergraduate and graduate).
5) A letter of acceptance in a reading program from a university or college advisor.
6) Two letters of recommendations (college professor and/or supervisor/principal). The professional recommendation should consider the applicant’s teaching ability, congeniality, integrity, special honors and awards, community involvement, and school activities. Each recommendation should not exceed one page.
Due December 15
Send your application packet to:
2315 Greenway Ave.
Richmond, VA 23228