Skip to main content

Undergrad Program FAQs

How do I declare Education as my major?

You must apply to the School of Education in order to pursue an Education curriculum. 

When can I apply?

Students typically apply during the second semester of the sophomore year. The Undergraduate Application is available online. Select Undergraduate and School of Education.  Then select Undergraduate Major Program or the BAEd in Elementary Education.

What is the minimum GPA requirement to be admitted to the School of Education Undergraduate program?

Admitted students will have a GPA of at least 2.0 and 54 earned hours.

Can I change from the undergraduate program to the 5 year program?

You cannot switch, but you can apply to the 5th year program is you have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, and have only completed  EDUC 301 and EDUC 310 in the undergraduate program.  If you have progressed further in the undergraduate education program, you cannot apply to the 5 year program.  

Do I have to follow the course schedule as outlined in my program of studies?

In most cases, yes.  Education classes are typically co-requisites, and thus cannot be taken out of sequence.  If you have a special situation, you should discuss it with your advisor in the School of Education.

Will other states accept my Virginia teaching license?

Yes, although some states may require additional tests or courses for licensure. 

Do I get paid for student teaching?

No – you receive credits for the student teaching experience.

Can I decide where I student teach?