Clinical placements, professional licensure, and facilitating partnerships
We are committed to:
- assisting students in securing clinical placements and professional licensure
- collaborating with partners in the field and School of Education faculty in student supervision
- facilitating partnerships with area schools and educational agencies
We invite you to use this website as a source of information. If you need information that is not available or if you need additional assistance, please contact our office. Our offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Update on First Aid, CPR, and AED Training Requirements for Licensure
The Virginia General Assembly passed House Bill 2028 and Senate Bill 986 which put into place a new requirement for all teachers that will become effective on July 1, 2013. The relevant portion of this regulation states the following:
§ 4. Every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license shall provide evidence of completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrillators. The certification or training program shall be based on the current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator, such as a program developed by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross. The Board shall provide a waiver for this requirement for any person with a disability whose disability prohibits such person from completing the certification or training….
This regulation applies to those in a program leading to licensure from the Virginia Department of Education and who are applying either for initial license or to add an endorsement to an existing license. This includes elementary, secondary, and special education teaching; gifted education teaching; reading and math specialists; school counseling; school psychology; K-12 educational leadership (endorsement in K-12 administration and supervision).
It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain First Aid/CPR/AED training. Students have several options including the following:
- Training courses are offered by the American Red Cross and the American Heart Association. It is easy to find a course at a time and convenient location by visiting the websites of these organizations.
- Several American Safety and Health Institute trainings will be held in the School of Education. To take advantage of this option, register below.
After completing the training, provide official documentation to Ms. Walker, Director of Clinical Placements and Licensure, in the School of Education. Documentation is typically in the form of an official card, which Ms. Walker can copy for records.