Do you have English language learners in your class and wonder how to meet their learning needs?
Join us as we explore the basics of teaching students for whom English is a second or other language. No matter what grade level or content area you teach, this half-day workshop will provide you with both foundational information about language acquisition and use-it-tomorrow classroom strategies.
Over the course of this interactive workshop, we will explore how students learn social and academic language and literacy in a second language and will learn how to build background knowledge, identify and teach academic language, and provide language and reading practice across the content areas. We’ll also take a look at how to embed culturally responsive instruction into all of our lessons.
Come join us for a day of learning with your colleagues from across Virginia!
- 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Location: Lake Taylor High School, Norfolk, VA
- General, ESL, and Special Education Teachers (grades 1-8)
- Register as an individual teacher or consider registering as an instructional team (grade level team, vertical team, or a team of classroom teachers, specialists, & ESL teachers).
- $150 per person for SURN divisions
- $200 per person for non-SURN divisions
- Includes workshop, materials, and morning coffee
Joy Martin M.Ed., is the Professional Learning Designer and Coach for SURN. She previously taught English as a Foreign Language in China and English as a Second Language to elementary English Learners. Joy has held leadership positions in multiple school systems in Virginia and has served as adjunct faculty, university supervisor, and ESL Summer Institute Director in the ESL/Bilingual Education Program at W&M.
Credit Card Store | Check/Invoice (POSTPONED)