The SURN Family Engagement Academy offers a space for teams to learn together as they tackle some of the toughest problems of practice. Why haven’t we been more successful in engaging every family in the education lives of their children? Why do so many of us still struggle with the notion of engaging every family as a viable conduit to improved student learning outcomes?
Building on a foundation of previous SURN Family Engagement Academies and the five principles of family engagement, this academy dives deeper into each principle and uses a case study approach.
Goals and Objectives
- understand the importance of family engagement and how it supports better student learning experiences in school,
- understand how to create the optimum conditions to enhance authentic family engagement,
- unpack case studies through thoughtful reflection, root cause identification, and problem solving,
- think critically and question actions, behaviors, and nuances in practice,
- examine and apply the principles and aspects of cases in your own context, and
- practice session objectives and principles, share ideas, and receive feedback in a community of practice.
All sessions are led by Dr. Steve Constantino and Dr. Peggie Constantino, and participants will receive a hard copy of their recent book, Case Studies to Engage Every Family: Implementing the Five Simple Principles (2023).
What is the structure and who should attend the SURN Family Engagement Academy?
Each session will include:
- an overview/refresher of a key principle
- a case study examination (read in advance by participants)
- an opportunity to imagine, apply, and transfer case examples and principles to your school/district
- question & answer time
Individuals are welcomed, as are all kinds of teams (school based, central office based, division wide) and participants (teachers, leaders, support staff). Sessions will be a dynamic mix of content, small group discussions, and real-world problem solving.
2023 Academy Dates (all dates are online, except the concluding session which meets in person at William & Mary School of Education):
Session 1: September 19, 2023 - Introductory Session (online, 9:00-noon)
Session 2: October 10, 2023 - A Culture that Engages Every Family (online, 9:00-2:00)
Session 3: November 14, 2023 - Communicate Effectively and Develop Relationships (online, 9:00-2:00)
Session 4: December 12, 2023 - Build Family Efficacy (online, 9:00-2:00)
Session 5: January 16, 2024 - Engage Every Family in Decision Making (online, 9:00-2:00)
Session 6: February 13, 2024 - Engage the Greater Community (online, 9:00-2:00)
Session 7: March 12, 2024 - Celebrate, Share, and Plan (in person, 9:00-2:00)
Teams of 4 encouraged, but individuals welcome!
Cost: $950 per person SURN divisions/$1100 per person Non-SURN divisions