Legislation & Guidance
- The Higher Education Opportunity Act, passed in August 2008, contains numerous provisions to increase homeless and foster students access [pdf] to postsecondary education.
- Federal Student Aid Handbook from Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education
- Higher Education pages on SchoolHouse Connection and NAEHCY
- I Want to Go to College: Now What? [pdf] A guide for youths who are or were homeless, or are at risk of experiencing homelessness from the U.S. Department of Education
- Opportunities Guide
- National College Access Network (NCAN)
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
FAFSA & Federal Student Aid
- Questions and Answers: Federal Student Aid and Homeless Youth [pdf]
- Toolkit for Completing the FAFSA
- FAFSA Tips For Unaccompanied Youth Without Stable Housing [pdf]
- Questions and Answers: Financial Aid and Undocumented Students
Applying for Virginia State Financial Aid
- There are two options in applying for financial aid: FAFSA and VASA. Deciding which application to complete and links to the application are found at the State Council for Higher Education.
- Need help completing the FAFSA or VASA applications for the 2022-2023 school year? VirginiaCAN has free help available through June 13, 2022.
Independent Status & Unaccompanied Homeless Youth
- Sample Notification Letter of Independent Status for UHY [pdf]
- Sample Verification Letter of Homelessness
- Application & Verification Guide for Financial Aid Administrators, chapter 5, special cases. Information regarding unaccompanied homeless youth begins on page AVG-117.
Scholarships for Students Experiencing Homelessness