On December 10, 2015, the President signed into law the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA), which reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Under the previous version of ESEA (the No Child Left Behind Act), the education of homeless children and youth was included in Title X, Part C. Under ESSA, homeless education is included in Title IX, Part A. The McKinney-Vento portion of ESSA takes effect on October 1, 2016.
We will update this page as new resources become available.
Supt. Memo 126-17, Virginia transition to ESSA
The McKinney-Vento EHCY Program State Plan will be submitted as part of Virginia’s Consolidated State Plan in September 2017. A draft of the plan is posted here. Your input and feedback are welcome.
- Homeless Student Non-Regulatory Guidance (July 27, 2016, updated March 2017)
- Homeless Student Guidance Fact Sheet (July 27, 2016)
- Homeless Student Notice of Rights and Protections (July 27, 2016)
- Transitioning to ESSA for Virginia's Homeless Education Program - recording of a webinar conducted by NAEHCY staff and the Virginia state coordinator on May 23, 2016
- Full text of the Every Student Succeeds Act - conference report; includes marked-up amendments to the education subtitle of the McKinney-Vento Act under Title IX, Part A
- The U.S. Department of Education Guidelines for McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youths Program as posted in the Federal Register, March 17, 2016