Individuals selected as AACTE Holmes Scholars:
- Are doctoral students or students pursuing a terminal degree in the education field. These individuals may be nominated during their first year and begin their Scholar status at any point that the institution is prepared to fully support their participation.
- Are members of groups traditionally underrepresented in the education professoriate or in leadership positions in the education and education research fields (especially racial, linguistic, and ethnic minorities, and people with exceptionalities).
- Intend to be or are engaged in teacher education (preservice and/or in-service) OR are engaged in fields/specializations with a clear school-based focus (e.g., school psychology, educational administration, education technology, or counseling) or with an educational research focus (e.g., educational measurement and statistics).
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and diversity.
- Agree to participate in university-school-community collaborative partnership arrangements, for research, service, or advocacy activities.