Skip to main content

5-Year B.A. to M.A.Ed. Program

Applying for Admission

So you are in the last semester of your junior year and just realized you want to enter the teaching profession? Then the 5-Year B.A. to M.A.Ed. program is a great option for you. You can choose Elementary Education, Secondary English, Secondary Math, Secondary Science, or Secondary Social Studies.

Application to the 5 Year BA to MAEd Program

The application opens on March 1 each year, and remains open until October 1.  Complete the application as early as March 1 of your social junior year, but no later than October 1 of the social senior year.   

When you enter the online application you will need to sign up and create an account, then select "UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS."  The 5th Year Program application is an option under the UNDERGRADUATE section.  See screen shot below:

Screen shot

The application should be submitted no later than October 1. Admission is rolling, so decisions will go out approximately 4 weeks after you submit your application. Once all spots are filled, we will stop accepting applications.

Our admissions process is holistic as well as competitive: we seek a diverse array of students who are committed to academic excellence, extracurricular involvement, and personal achievement. Successful students exhibit:

  • Academic achievement to date as exhibited by grades, course load, difficulty of courses trends in academic performance, and recovery from academic setbacks.
  • Personal attributes and life experiences that illustrate resilience in the face of challenges, ethical character, openness to diverse perspectives, creative spirit, and collaborative ability.
  • Strong communication skills as demonstrated by one's application essay.
  • Students must have a 3.0 GPA to apply to the program; however, meeting this minimum benchmark does not guarantee admission. 

Applicants must supply the following:

  • Online application
  • WM unofficial transcript
  • Personal essays
  • One letter of recommendation from a WM faculty member
Student Advisement

Upon admission to the program, students are assigned academic advisors who are faculty members in the School of Education. Before registering for education courses, students meet with their advisors to discuss academic, personal and professional goals; to review both the academic regulations of the university and the specific course requirements for teacher certification; and to plan a program of studies in education. Education advisors work with the students throughout the senior year and the graduate program.

Continuation during the senior year

After admission to the 5 Year BA to MAEd program, students should meet with their School of Education advisor, maintain a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, be in good standing with the university, and take the required professional education courses as part of undergraduate studies. The following courses MUST be taken in either fall or spring of senior year, unless they were taken earlier.  They cannot be taken during the summer after students graduate with the baccalaureate degree:

  • EDUC 301
  • EDUC 310
  • Special Education students may also take EDUC 425
Elevation to the master's portion of the program

In order to elevate to the master's level portion of the program, you must:

  1. Take or be enrolled in the required professional courses no later than during your senior year;
  2. Earn a 3.0 GPA or higher in the professional education courses taken as an undergraduate (EDUC 301, EDUC 310);
  3. Graduate with a bachelor's degree from William & Mary with a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher.

Failure to complete any of the requirements listed above may result in removal from the 5th year program.

The master's portion of the program

Once elevated to the Master's portion of the program, you will pay your enrollment deposit and enroll as a full-time student and follow the continuation and program rules of the Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction. You will complete the regular sequence of courses except for those taken as part of your undergraduate program. You should complete your program 12 months later.

Licensure Exam Requirements

In addition to coursework and field experiences there are exams required for program completion and licensure.  A complete listing of the required tests is available on the Office of Teacher Education website.