5 Year BA to M.A.Ed. Program

Admission Criteria and Procedures

So you are in the last semester of your junior year and just realized you want to enter the teaching profession? Then the Fifth Year Program is a great option for you. You can choose:

Program of Studies for the 5th Year Program
Application to the 5th Year Track

Complete the Fifth Year Program application as early as March 1 of your social junior year, but no later than October 1 prior to the social senior year.   

When you enter the online application you will need to sign up and create an account, then select "UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS."  The 5th Year Program application is an option under the UNDERGRADUATE section.  See screen shot below:

Screen shot

Note:  You must have a minimum 3.0 cum GPA or higher to be eligible to apply to this program. 

The application should be submitted no later than August 1. Admission is rolling, so decisions for the 5th Year Program will go out approximately 4 weeks after you submit your application. Once all spots are filled, we will stop accepting applications.

You will not be able to register for education courses until you have been admitted to the 5th Year Program.  You will need to provide one letter of recommendation from a WM faculty member for this application.

Continuation during the senior year

After admission to the 5th Year track, you should complete your program of studies, maintain a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, be in good standing with the university, and take the required professional education courses as part of your undergraduate studies. These courses MUST be taken in either fall or spring of your senior year.  You cannot opt to take them during the summer after you graduate with your baccalaureate degree:

  • EDUC 301 (should be taken in the fall semester, if possible)
  • EDUC 310.
  • Special Education students may also take EDUC 425

Both courses are offered in both fall and spring semesters. You will not be able to register for these courses without special instructor permission until you have been admitted to the education program.

Elevation to the master's portion of the program

In order to elevate to the master's level portion of the program, you must:

  1. Take or be enrolled in the required professional courses no later than during your senior year;
  2. Earn a 3.0 GPA or higher in the professional education courses taken as an undergraduate (EDUC 301, EDUC 310);
  3. Graduate with a bachelor's degree from William & Mary with a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher;
  4. Submit scores, or have an appropriate substitution with previously taken ACT or SAT scores, for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test. The scores must be submitted prior to January 15 of the senior year. Details for substituting previously taken ACT or SAT scores can be found on the Office of Teacher Education website.

Failure to complete any of the requirements listed above may result in removal from the 5th year program.

The master's portion of the program

Once elevated to the Master's portion of the program, you will enroll as a full-time student and follow the continuation and program rules of the Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction. You will complete the regular sequence of courses except for those taken as part of your undergraduate program. You should complete your program 12 months later.

Student Advisement & Licensure Exam Requirements

Upon admission to the 5th year track, students are assigned academic advisors who are faculty members in the School of Education. Before registering for education courses, students meet with their advisors to discuss academic, personal and professional goals; to review both the academic regulations of the university and the specific course requirements for teacher certification; and to plan a program of studies in education. Education advisors work with the students throughout the senior year and the graduate program. The Program of Studies form should be turned into the Office of Academic Programs before a student begins education coursework.

In addition to coursework and field experiences there are exams required for program completion and licensure.  A complete listing of the required tests is available on the Office of Teacher Education website.