Students selected as Holmes Scholars agree to the following commitments:
- Serve a 3-year term.
- Participate in the AACTE Annual Meeting, including the Holmes Scholars preconference events.
- Submit proposals to present their research at the AACTE Annual Meeting each year they are in the program.
- Participate at least once in the AACTE Holmes Scholars Summer Policy Institute and AACTE Day on the Hill.
- Participate in at least one other education conference, such as that of the American Educational Research Association, the Association of Teacher Educators, or another organization within their discipline.
- Propose and implement a project that relates to or forwards the goals of AACTE and authentically engages them in advocacy, policy, service, or research work that furthers high-quality and equitable educator preparation.
- Participate in activities and meetings sponsored by the National Association of Holmes Scholars Alumni (NAHSA) during their final year in the Holmes Scholars Program (some of which occur at the AACTE Annual Meeting).
- Consider affiliate membership in NAHSA during their final year in the program.